Guy Chapman was born in Wellington, New Zealand in 1963. He moved to Australia in 1984 to study visual arts and holds a Bachelors Degree in Visual Arts – Painting and Film Making, from City Art Institute, Sydney, which is now part of the University of New South Wales. Guy has held numerous exhibitions around Sydney with many paintings and drawings sold to private collections.
His works explore a feeling of connection to the New Zealand landscape through the repeated motif of the lines, shapes and colours of the hills of the South Island. The sense of belonging to place he was searching for through his work was finally realised when a recent DNA test revealed Māori ancestry connecting him to the Ngāi Tahu people of Te Waipounamu, Aotearoa, the South Island of New Zealand, an area with some of the most glorious, mountainous landscapes in the country.
- 2023 – Ngā Puke o Aotearoa – Solo exhibition of landscape oil paintings, Comber Street Studios, Paddington, 31 March – 2 April 2023
- 2014 – Landscapes: In Time, I Recall – Solo exhibition of landscape oil paintings, Art2Muse Gallery 29 April – 12 May 2014
- 2014 – Landscapes – Solo exhibition of landscape oil paintings, Queen St Gallery, Woollahra, 25 Feb to 9 March
- 2013 – Field Colour – The painting ‘Field Colour’ was selected as a finalist in the Fleurieu Art Prize and Exhibition, Fleurieu Peninsula South Australia, 2013
- 2013 – d’Arcy Doyle Art Awards – Two landscape works exhibited in the d’Arcy Doyle Art Awards.
- 2013 – Landscapes – Solo exhibition of landscape oil paintings, Queen St Gallery, Woollahra, 19 Feb to 3 March
- 1997 – What is Love – Group exhibition, charcoal drawings, Sydney
- 1996 – Guy Chapman – Solo exhibition of oil paintings, Illawarra Hotel, NSW
- 1996 – Naked – Solo exhibition of oil paintings and charcoal drawings, Baby Enzo, Paddington
- 1995 – Guy Chapman – Solo exhibition of oil paintings and charcoal drawings, L’otel, Sydney
- 1993 – Two – Group exhibition of seven artists, Rushcutters Bay, Sydney
- 1991 – Dado Two – Joint exhibition (with photographer) of oil paintings, charcoal drawings, L’otel, Sydney
- 1991 – Dado One – Joint exhibition (with photographer) of oil paintings, charcoal drawings, Sanctuary Studio Cafe, Sydney
- 1990 – Graduating Exhibition – COFA, Sydney
- 1990 – Postgraduate Exhibition – COFA, Sydney
- 1990 Bachelor of Visual Arts – Painting and Film Making – University of NSW, College of Fine Arts, Sydney, Australia
- 1987 Post graduate year, Visual Arts, Private Art School, Melbourne, VIC
- 1986 Diploma of Visual Arts, Private Art School, Sydney, NSW
Feel free to subscribe to the email list. I’ll only send you occasional emails about new work or exhibitions and you can easily unsubscribe or update your details later if you want to.
This site has an online Shop that you are most welcome to use directly or just get in touch to have a chat about any purchases if that’s easier. If you are in Sydney you can drop by to have a look at any works that are for sale.
If you use an RSS reader this site’s feed is located at guychapman.net/feed/